image credits: pixabay.com
Most authors have a favorite social media site. For some, it’s blogging. For others it may be Facebook, Twitter, or even Pinterest. For me, it’s Wattpad.
With the crazy my life has become, I’ve little time to spend in front of a computer. That means less time to write and less time to catch up with all you wonderful bloggers.
But it doesn’t mean I haven’t been reading. Promise!
For those unfamiliar with Wattpad, allow me to extol its virtues.
Wattpad.com is a site dedicated solely to writing. Authors can create a free account and upload as many of their books (chapter by chapter) for readers to read. Authors can discover new authors, and read, comment and vote on their chapters. Many readers join Wattpad solely to read and discover the next big thing!
hmmmm…. sounds like a win-win situation to me…
And that’s because it is.
I’ve been working on two stories: Fairless, a YA fantasy; Summoned, an historical fantasy. Both have gained readership with each chapter uploaded. Like all social media sites, one must follow and support others in order to gain followers… which for me is super awesome as I get to read some great books!
But here’s the icing on the cake… the kicker… the extra scoop of sprinkles…
Wattpad allows you to see who is reading your books. How awesome is that!!
They’ve installed nifty demographic pie charts which show you:
1) percentage of readers who are male/female or unidentified (must be a dogs have learned to read).
2) percentage of age ranges reading your story
3) what countries they hail from
4) stats showing when your readers are reading
Here is what I’ve learned:
1) Fairless is read primarily by women over the age of 45 (go figure!)
2) they hail primarily from the US
3) is read by mostly other writers on Wattpad
4) Summoned is read by women primarily from 13-18 years old (really?!)
5) Most are from the US
6) Almost all are on Wattpad exclusively as readers
In a world where knowing your reader can help you sell books, how valuable is THAT information! Like I said before…
I’m in love!
Happy writing… and if you’re interested in scoping out my work, I’m on Wattpad under the name Vermontwriter. Just sign up for a free account and look me up. And who knows, maybe you’ll fall in love with this delightful social media site too.